Control strategies for cassava mosaic disease include sanitation and plant resistance. In this case, sanitation means using cuttings from healthy plants to start with a healthy plot and maintaining that healthy plot by identifying unhealthy plants and immediately removing them.
How can we prevent cucumber mosaic virus?
- Purchase virus-free plants.
- Maintain strict aphid control.
- Remove all weeds since these may harbor both CMV and aphids.
- Immediately set aside plants with the above symptoms and obtain a diagnosis.
- Discard virus infected plants.
- Disinfest tools used for vegetative propagation frequently.
What causes mosaic?
Mosaicism may be caused by an error in mitosis. Mitosis is the dividing of body cells. It’s how a baby in the womb grows. Mitosis causes the number of chromosomes to double to 92 and then split in half back to 46.
How do plants resist viral infections?
Plants use RNA-silencing mechanism and produce short interfering RNA (SiRNA) molecules in a defense response against viral infection. To counter this defense response, virus produces suppressor proteins that can block the host silencing pathway or interfere with its function in plant cells .
Can you eat cucumbers with mosaic virus?
Yes, you can eat squash and melons that are infected with mosaic virus. These viruses are not harmful to humans and do not cause the fruit to rot. Often the discoloration is only skin deep. In cases where fruit are severely distorted, the texture of the fruit may be affected and may not be desirable for eating.
What are the symptoms of tobacco mosaic virus?
Symptoms associated with TMV infections:
- mosaic pattern of light and dark green (or yellow and green) on the leaves.
- malformation of leaves or growing points.
- yellow streaking of leaves (especially monocots)
- yellow spotting on leaves.
- distinct yellowing only of veins.
How do you treat rose mosaic virus?
There is no cure or treatment in landscapes for eliminating the viruses that cause rose mosaic disease. Replace infected roses if their performance is unsatisfactory. Purchase and plant virus-indexed plants, roses that have been tested and certified to be free of known rose viruses.